We are New Yorkers organizing to make CUNY free again. We believe that free, high-quality higher education is a human right. Free CUNY is a coalition of engaged students and educators who are working to bring free higher education to the city of New York.
We are gathering 60,000 signatures on a petition to put the Make CUNY Free Again Law up to a referendum vote on November 7, 2017. The Make CUNY Free Again Law will guarantee the following:
- A free, high-quality higher education at CUNY to all New York City high school graduates and High School Equivalency (GED) holders, regardless of immigration status.
- City funding for CUNY to the median level of per-student funding at private colleges in New York, so that public and private higher education will no longer be separate and unequal.
- Stipends to make sure poverty doesn’t hold back any student from success.
- Parity between public and private sector wages and salaries in higher education.
- Parity between part-time and full-time faculty at CUNY.
The law will require the city to ask the state to authorize a tax on the top 1% of income earners in New York City (those who make about $600,000 and more) to pay for free, higher-quality education for all.
Ready to fight for a free CUNY? Get involved!